Just wanted to give you guys an update on the tile project. We started looking at tile and realized it was going to be a bit pricier that we thought. We were going to wait and see if they went down or to see if we could take advantage of a contractors discount, but we decided to bite the bullet now and pick a nice tile and go for it. After looking long and hard, we found a tile that we liked and it was a good price so we got it. It took two cars to get it home and nearly broke our backs getting it in the house. We did not realize that would be the easy part.
The first day was demolition of the carpet, padding, tack strips, and molding. That was done by noon so we decided to go ahead and start on the tile. Before I could do that I needed to clean up the floor which required the use of the shop vac that I did not own. Off to Home Depot for another toy! Clean up was done by 1:30 and it was on to the tile. My lovely wife was off to work during this part (how do you think I snuck in the new toy?) so I started and sent pictures as I went to make sure it looked the way she wanted it to. Luckily I was following her instructions correctly and even got the inserts in the way she wanted.
I continued on until she got home and together we got about half way done. I do not know if any of you have ever laid tile before, but it is not fun and at the half way point I was beat. We both were thankful to call it a night and vowed to finish up the next day.
The next day was another work day for my lovely wife and I did not get back on the tile until 9:30. Progress started a little slow, but I was making progress and it was nice to see that we did make a good choice in the tile and fact that she wanted it on a diagonal made it look that much better. Plus as you can see from the pics she wanted this little insert and asked if I could do it. I was not sure that I could, but I tried and boy did it look good. Being so poud of my work made it easier to keep going. By the time my wife got home I was 80% done. She got changed and we finished up what was left and got the last of the tricky angles knocked out. Here are some more pictures.
Now its on to the grouting which I am sure will be another adventure. Here is one tip for those of you who have never done this, but are think about it and want to use the pre-mix tile mortar. The area coverage estimates that are listed on the bucket are way off. According to the manufactured two buckets should have been enough to finish our project of 350 square feet. We went through 5 buckets and this was using the mortar exactly as the directions indicated. So if you are planning to use this stuff, which I must admit is alot easier than mixing your own, you should at least double the amount they say you will need. Also, this was not the easiest thing I have ever done and I was really sore, tired and in need of pain medication after, so take you time and make sure you have time and are physically committed to get something like this done.
I will be sure to let you know how the grouting goes and will post pictures of the finished product. Wish me luck!